Wednesday, March 8, 2017

27 Things I've Learned in 27 Years

I celebrated my 27th birthday a few weeks ago. And this past year has been the year of the most growth and change I've ever experienced. But there is plenty I have learned as I've gone along. Some of it may not be super "earth shattering" or anything...and some of it is just silly stuff...but much has had an impact on me, and God has used much to mold me over the years. I didn't think I was going to be able to come up with 27 things, but it really wasn't that hard! And I had fun doing it!





1.      I still HATE lettuce! I always thought maybe my taste buds would change as I became an adult and I would be able to enjoy salads, or like having lettuce on my sandwiches. Not the case! I still absolutely loathe lettuce, and won’t take it on anything!

 2.      I think I always knew I was an extrovert. I was just afraid of what everyone thought, so I kept all of myself TO myself. Everyone just expected me to be shy and introverted, so I stayed that way. Until I realized that I was being ridiculous to hide so much of myself. My transformation from being the most insecure, quiet girl who kept everyone at arms-length, to the girl who thrives off of being with people with a much stronger sense of self-worth, was such a 180 that it’s still a surprise to people who knew me several years ago.

3.      Personality tests are the best life tools ever to exist! Knowing my own type truly helps me to step back and be very aware of the people around me and how different and unique everyone is. Everyone does things, handles things, processes, and thinks about things in a different way. It’s helped me to extend a lot of grace towards those who may be different from me. Especially in the workplace, or even within my own extended family.  

4.      I should have been a lefty.
Soooo…this is totally a dancer thing! I was always dominant on my left side doing most things. Especially turns. Other dancers would tease me again and again when I got more excited about turning on my left side than on my right side, because most people are right dominant. Plus I’m more comfortable carrying things in my left arm or on my left side. And yet I write, and eat, with my right hand.

 Okay…super random, I know. Moving on…

5.      I can handle Indiana winters. That doesn’t mean I have to like them. But I can handle them. I have mastered the art of driving in the snow, and I’m actually pretty good at it. I just choose to stop caring about the drivers around me. If they think I’m driving too slowly, they can go around me. In fact, I’d prefer that anyway. The driving process feels less scary to me now. And if I’m snowed it, rather than let it stress me out, I’m perfectly content to stay home, bundled up in sweaters, comfy socks, with a warm cup of coffee and a great book or movie.

 6.      Sushi rolls are a little taste of Heaven! In a teeny, tiny, bite-sized roll! I used to make a “yucky” face whenever my dad would tell me how much he loved sushi. Now…it’s one of my favorite things in the whole world! {Although, I’m pretty sure he would still tell me what I’m eating isn’t “real” sushi. Whatever though! It’s a step up from never touching anything even remotely similar!}

7.      Relationships, closeness, and connections with cousins, aunts, and uncles are so important!

8.      You are truly never too old for Disney!

9.      So many of the challenges and struggles I had growing up, stem from my adoption, even though I was adopted as an infant. I’ll be sharing a post on this as well.

10.   Grammar is seriously your friend. Even if you wouldn't consider yourself one the smartest people in the world, if you know your grammar, it’ll at least make you sound highly educated.

11.   People apologize WAY too much! We live in such a shame-filled world. And that makes me sadder and sadder all the time.

12.   Reading really is good for you! I definitely gain so much more through reading an amazing book than through watching an amazing movie. {Even though I love both!}

13.   College is NOT the greatest time in your life. High school is DEFINITELY not the greatest time in your life. High school can be the absolute worst (like a lot of it was for me…although, middle school was a lot worse still), and even in college, you’re still too young to really be the person you’re going to be for the rest of your life. College shaped me, for sure, and I don't regret my college experience. But I didn’t come into the person I am until after college.

14.   I was just not made for this time period! I went through my phase of feeling like I had to fit in, so I decided that I liked all the same music, or doing all the same things as the other kids in my class…but really, I’ve never “liked” a whole lot from this generation…I prefer to watch old movies and listen to old music. I’m not “joined at the hip” to my phone. I learned how to talk to adults and to articulate well very early on. I'd prefer to go to the symphony or the opera before I would go to a rock or pop concert. I prefer lace, vintage, and anything old fashioned. 

15.   Had it not been for show choir, I never would have made it through high school. I just wouldn’t have cared…at all.

16.   Having said that…Music, dancing, and the arts is NEVER a waste of time! Even if you never excel as a professional in your art form, you gain invaluable experiences from it all! But your passions are NOT a waste. Not ever.

17.   Strive for excellence, but not perfection. There are many versions of excellence…but no such thing as perfect.

18.   After a rough day, a hot shower is all I really need when I get home. It literally feels like you’re washing the day away.

19.   This quote is so true: “Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.” THAT has pretty much become my main life philosophy, and no matter how frustrating people can be, you just never know what they are going through.

20.   Stay away from toxic people. Someone who demeans, manipulates, and beats you down mentally and emotionally, is not someone you should keep in your life. In ANY situation.

21.   You can still have time of your life, WITHOUT alcohol. I learned this through attending a Christian college, where drinking was not allowed at anytime, anywhere. I had some of the absolute best times with friends, even post-college…and no drinking necessary. I do have a drink once in a while, but I don’t feel like I need it to have a good time.

22.   The fruits of the spirit…are just that…fruits of the SPIRIT. Not fruits of the FLESH. I cannot produce them in my life on my own doings. I’ll be writing a series on The Fruits of the Spirit very soon! And I'm so excited about it!

23.   Doctrine isn’t important. Neither are denominations. All were invented by MAN. Of course, to each their own. I’m not “bashing” denominations. But, my concern is, what does the Bible teach? What does the Lord want? How is the life I am living reflecting Him? So if my focus is on that, what does it matter what denomination I belong to?

24.   Attitude is everything! Even the most mundane tasks can be joyful if you just CHOOSE a joyful attitude. I'm really not a huge fan of cliché phrases like, "Have an attitude of gratitude." But it's true! Our perspectives on whatever circumstances we find ourselves in, even negative ones, are our CHOICE. 
{Note: This is NOT meant to diminish or downplay something very tragic or heartbreaking you may be facing! I'm mainly talking here about general frustrations, less than ideal work situations, or just overall yucky days, etc., that everyone faces.}

25.   You are NOT the only one going through what you’re going through. And once I found the people who’d had similar experiences, my life was drastically changed, for the better!

26.   People aren’t mind readers. You will never get anything if you don’t ask for it. I am now helping my students understand this concept. Don’t be so afraid to speak up.

27.   Legitimate thoughts are NEVER made off of emotions. Never make a big decision when you’re upset, angry, or maybe even a little too happy. You’ll end up changing your mind every day, probably multiple times a day, because our emotional state changes so much.  Chances are, you won’t be making a quality decision, and you’ll regret the decision later.

  
What have YOU learned throughout the course of your life?
Maybe you've gained some wisdom that I haven't yet...but should ;)
I'd love to hear from you in the comments!

 

3 comments:

  1. You have learned a lot. Some of those things I didn't get until much later in life. Good Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have learned a lot. I definitely agree with your point that you don't need alcohol to have fun. All my fun moments in life involved no alcohol. But some did involve being caffeine or sugar drunk lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, sushi is amazing, people apologize too much, you can absolutely have fun without alcohol, and legitimate thoughts are NEVER made off emotions. I also really appreciate what you had to say about the fruits of the spirit being something our flesh cannot produce on it's own. So much truth in that!

    ReplyDelete